It's often impossible (or close to it) to obtain a regular authorization for a gift card or prepaid debit card due to the combination of anti-fraud measures we employ and the draconian restrictions prepaid card issuers put on "acceptable" usage of their cards.
At this time, we cannot recommend or endorse attempts to use of prepaid/gift cards with our service. However, if you have no alternative, and you have tried and failed to use the card with our regular payment system, follow the following steps:
- Make sure your card is clearly identified as a gift card and has the Visa, MasterCard or American Express logo.
- Wait at least 24 hours after purchasing for the card to become active.
- Scan or take a high-resolution digital photograph of the front of the card.
- Upload the photograph to the "protected" folder of your site and note the pathname to the file.
- Submit a new "Trouble Depositing Funds" assistance request specifying the type of gift card you have and the amount you want to deposit. Include the site short name and the pathname to the photograph you uploaded.
- We will confirm that the card is a gift card and process the transaction for you manually.
- For purposes of the transaction, we are located in Florida in the United States. Cards that state "Valid only in the United States" may be used, no matter where you are located.
Depending on the type and availability of prepaid cards in your area, you may need to vary some parts of the above instructions, or they may not work at all. We have had at least one situation where a member physically mailed us the card and we still couldn't get the issuer to authorize it.