This process works a little differently here than it does with most other services. At NearlyFreeSpeech.NET, responsibility is divided into two distinct pieces: a membership and an account.
A membership represents an individual person. A person can only have one membership, which has their real, personal name on it. This membership cannot be shared or transferred.
The account is a separate piece under the membership that contains money, sites, domains, everything related to hosting for a specific entity (which might be the same person, or it might be a company, club, or organization.).
So, in order to take over responsibility for hosted services, following process:
- Make sure our service is a good fit for you. If it isn't, it's best to find that out beforehand.
- Create your own membership in your own name. If the other person tries to give you their username and password, don't let them! You must never access a membership belonging to someone else.
- Establish with the other person exactly what you are taking over. This could range from a whole account full of services down to a single site or domain name. The important thing is that you both agree on exactly what is to be transferred.
- If you are receiving anything other than a full account, you must create an account of your own and fund it.
- When you are ready, both you and the other person should submit identical "transfer" assistance requests in our user interface. (More detailed instructions are available in our Member FAQ.)
- We will take care of the rest.